Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Bucket List

The bucket list:  a collection of things a person wants to do before he or she dies.  It's the "stuff I want to do, but don't have time for right now" list.  The "these are the things I'll have time to do when I'm retired" list. Or the "things I think I should try regardless of whether or not I really want to do them" list.

My bucket list is more than that.  It's a collection of things that will challenge me.  These activities are a platform for spending time with family and friends.  And it's always good to have goals.  Goals give structure to our lives.

Here's just a few items from my bucket list:

1.  Get a black belt in Tae Kwon Do:  In high school, I took a couple of years of Tae Kwon Do and got about half way to my black belt.  Some day, I want to finish what I started.

2.  Hike around Pelham Lake:  I love spending time with my family up in the mountains of Wyoming and this lake is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, the grizzlies have increased in population over the last couple of decades, so this might not be the safest thing to do, but one day, I will do it.

yellow pond lilies in an inlet of Pelham Lake, summer 2010

close-up of the lilies

3.  Learn to ride a horse:  I actually started taking riding lessons this fall, but unfortunately was unable to continue.  While I've learned the basics, I've still got so much more to learn.

4.  Learn to play the bagpipes:  I know some members of my family, as well as any future neighbors, would rather I not take up such a loud, reedy instrument.  However, I enjoy listening to Celtic rock, and being a musician. . .I just can't help it.

It's time to get crackin' (no pistachios required)!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting bucket list. Good luck with it! I've heard the bagpipes are a real challenge

    ReplyDelete