Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Advertising

It seems that the more we integrate technology into our lives, the more we are marketed to.  There are billboards, TV and radio commercials, junk mail, and telemarketers (do they really think that because they've called on the weekend, we're going to pick up?).  There's ads on YouTube, Facebook, and almost every other website.  And boy, does the advertising industry generate a lot of money!

However, I'm tired of being marketed to.  I see the same commercials so many times, that I almost don't want to finish the content I started watching.  I'm tired of the "sign-up for our newsletter"  or "take this survey" or "like us on Facebook" pop-ups every time I visit a site.

We are inundated with advertising, and I don't think that's a good thing. We waste so much time waiting to get through the ads (I'm sure I've seen certain ones hundreds of times by now).  How many people change channels during commercials or open another tab while streaming a TV show?  I'm not the only one, am I?  And unfortunately, our culture is very me-centered.  We are taught to think only of ourselves and what will make us happy, not how to value others.  It doesn't help that we are constantly reminded that this product is the thing to have or that product will make me happy and fulfill my dreams.

I do not mean for this post to be judgmental.  No, I'm just tired of being marketed to almost every second of every day.  I hope that this short post will perhaps give us as a society pause to consider what we value most.

No comments:

Post a Comment