Monday, April 14, 2014

Life as It Is: Reflections on the Past Year

I debated whether or not to write this post because there have been many things in the past year that I wish would have gone differently and that I would have done differently.

Needless to say, it has not been a smooth year.  By this time last year, I had decided that I did not want to become a full-time church musician. Between classes, my senior recital, and everything else that was happening my final semester of college, there was little I could do to change direction.  I was terrified of the fact that, come the day after graduation, I would have absolutely no plan for came next.  For the first few days after graduation, I was paralyzed:  I barely left my apartment and got very little packed for the move home.  The apartment was a disaster because my parents had already taken all of my furniture, leaving stuff scattered all over the place.

It was a couple of weeks later that I finally moved back home.  Home brought it's own challenges.  Since my freshman year, I've lived largely out of boxes in the guestroom.  I hate living out of boxes.  Despite my best efforts, I can never remember exactly where I've packed anything.

In five years, my family has changed just about as much as I have.  As such, I've had a hard time connecting with them.  I think one of the best decisions I made was to find a different church to call home.  It's given me the opportunity to meet new people.  I also have been going to counseling. For me, it's been a wonderful blessing to get an outside perspective on what I've been going through and to talk about some of the issues I've been struggling with.

It's been a rough year, but this period of my life is almost past.  I know for sure that I will be starting a PhD program in mathematics this fall, although I'm still not one hundred percent sure where.  I am very much looking forward to moving to a new place, meeting new people, and being once again in an academic environment.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you found your next step. School ends for all of us at some point, but the learning never need stop. God be with you in your PhD program. Maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maria, and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete