Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Kitchen

The kitchen is one of my favorite rooms, and not because I like cooking.  I feel that cooking needs to be more of a collaboration, so I enjoy doing it with other people.  Plus, I find one needs to do a whole bunch of things at once, and I'm not a good at multitasking.  I tend to become quickly frustrated and overwhelmed if I'm trying to prepare something by myself. No, the kitchen is my favorite room because I love baking.

I enjoy the process of making baked goods.  It takes time and patience and love to make a tasty loaf of bread. One works one step at a time: measuring out one ingredient, mixing multiple ingredients together, letting the dough rise (if there's yeast involved), and then baking it in the oven.  Oh, and the fragrant aroma that slowly fills the house!

It's been quite a while since I've baked anything and I've been itching to put my hand to the dough.  Today, I decided to make some scones to have for breakfast this week.  I started with this recipe from King Arthur Flour and modified it a bit.  My scones ended up being a little on the done side, but they were still very tasty, with just hint of orange (I just had to sample one with a cup of tea, of course!).

Spiced Orange Chocolate Chip Scones

1 12 c. whole white wheat flour
1 14 c. AP flour
13 c. sugar
1 tbsp. baking powder
34 tsp. salt
12 tsp. baking soda
12 tsp. cinnamon
12 c. butter
1 c. mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
zest of 1 orange
2 eggs
14 c. half and half
14 c. orange juice
2 tsp. vanilla

Mix the first six ingredients together.  Cut in the butter (I find it easiest to use my hands) and stir in the chips and orange zest.  In a separate bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients.  Combine this second mixture into the first, adding a little more orange juice if the dough is too dry.  Turn out onto a floured surface, kneading it a bit if necessary.  Form into two rounds about 3/4 of an inch thick and brush with a bit of half and half. Using a knife that has been rinsed in cold water, cut each round into six slices.  Place the slices on a cookie sheet in the freezer for at least half of an hour (mine were in for about two hours) and then bake for about 20 minutes at 425° F.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment