Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Yeast

I know that I've mentioned before how much I love baking, especially yeast breads.  I've only ever used dry active yeast.  Growing up, my mom would buy the big vacuum sealed packages, which she used to refill the mason jar in the back of the fridge.  Occasionally, she would use it to make French bread.  I still to this day love the soft, warm inside and the buttery crust of a fresh-baked loaf.  However, the main reason for the jar in the fridge was not the French bread; it was the pizza dough.

Once I could do it on my own, almost every Saturday around four p.m. I added ingredients to the bread machine and started dough for my brothers and me.  When our dough was ready to be rolled out, my mom would start dough for her and my dad.  With four pizzas between the five of us, there were plenty of leftovers for the coming week.

I don't have pizza as often now, but nothing beats the taste of homemade crust.  I don't have my own bread machine so I have to make it by hand when I do, but I prefer it that way anyhow.  Today, I thought I'd share the pizza dough recipe I grew up using.  Enjoy!

Homemade Pizza Dough

34 c. water
1 12 tsp. sugar
1 14 tsp. dry active yeast
1 tbsp. oil
2 c. flour
14 tsp. salt

Add the first three ingredients to a large bowl and let it set for a few minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and mix.  If the dough seems a bit dry, add a little more water.  Turn it out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is soft and smooth.  Return to the bowl and rise for about an hour.  Punch down and let it rise for another 15 minutes.  Roll the dough out on a pizza stone, poke with a fork to prevent bubbles, and bake at 425° for 4 minutes.  Add desired sauce, seasonings, cheese, and toppings.  Return to the oven and bake another 15–20 minutes, until the crust is brown and the cheese is bubbly.

This recipe makes enough dough for one regular crust pizza or two thin crust pizzas.  For added flavor, try using olive oil and adding garlic and Italian seasoning to the dough!

No comments:

Post a Comment