Sunday, October 13, 2013

Phone Books! Get Your Phone Books Here!

OK, so delivering phone books is not like selling newspapers.  It's more of the UPS meets everybody's favorite solicitor, if there's such a thing as a favorite door-to-door purveyor of things you don't want.  A phone book deliverer is certainly not the latter, but it seems to be how many people view such a person.  How do I know?  Because it's what I did for a couple of weeks earlier this summer, delivering phone books, that is, not watching people deliver them.

This was not my favorite job and it's certainly not something I will be doing again anytime soon.  It's a job that falls in the same category as fast food employee, another job I've done and don't have any inclination to do again. Despite the fact that July is a terrible month to walk around neighborhoods carrying a stack of books neatly wrapped in plastic bags, there are things to be gained from this experience besides a humble paycheck.  While there are many more, here's just two reasons delivering phone books is a job every college graduate should try:

1. It'll make for a great story one day.  When I first walked in for orientation, I got the impression the guy leading it didn't think I would actually be able to do it, and to be honest, I think I, myself, am surprised I managed to follow through with it.  Note, this job is not as easy as it sounds.  But you know what, it'll be fun to tell the kids and grandkids that I did something few people do.

   2. You learn the streets.  Spending so much time with a Google map trying to make sure you know This Street from This Place and This Circle and also that That Avenue starts here and breaks for a couple of blocks before resuming, means you become very familiar with the neighborhood you're delivering in.  I had the privilege of delivering some of the routes out where I live, so last week when I had to go pick something up across the way, I was able to jump in the car and drive over without looking at a map.  While I may never  again be in some of the areas I delivered to, I gained some valuable insight into how to navigate unfamiliar neighborhoods, some useful knowledge indeed when eventually moving to an unfamiliar city.

No comments:

Post a Comment