Sunday, October 30, 2022

Sweet Potato Noodles Stir-Fry

When I first started the strict elimination diet I've been on for the last five months, it was really overwhelming. It was a zero-to-360 change that required me, because food additives, preservatives, off-limit oils are in everything, to make almost everything from scratch. When you don't feel good and have low energy, this is a task of monumental proportions.

Thankfully, we are living in a time when there are so many resources online, making my complete dietary change a little bit more manageable. Many of the resources I've been using started sharing their stories in blogs and on YouTube in the late 2010s. They have talked about how much harder it was to find information and resources years earlier when they started their journeys. Their experiences and expertise have made my transition from a standard American diet (SAD) to a restrictive form of Paleo (specifically the Autoimmune Protocol or AIP) that much easier.

While I do still use recipes from sites like Real World AIP and Unbound Wellness, I've also used several non-AIP recipes that I've modified to fit the restrictions, including the one I'm sharing today. This one is inspired by a recipe from Maangchi. If you've been around the Korean food-sphere at all, I'm sure you already know who she is, but if not, you should go check out her website and YouTube channel!

So, without further ado, here is my AIP-friendly version of Japchae.

- Kristen

AIP Japchae (sweet potato noodle stir-fry)

Marinated Beef:
grass-fed stir-fry beef (usually packaged in the 0.5 - 1 pounds range)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. grated ginger (or some ground ginger if you prefer; optional)
1 tsp. honey
2 tsp. coconut aminos
1 tsp. avocado oil

1 - 3.5 oz. package of sweet potato glass noodles

Veggies:
oil for sautéing
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 thinly sliced yellow onion
1 head chopped broccoli (or an equivalent portion of frozen chopped broccoli)
a handful of carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
12 oz. bag of shredded cabbage (any kind will do, but I prefer the purple)
a handful of green onions, sliced

Sauce:
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. grated ginger (optional)
2 tbsp. coconut aminos
1 tbsp. honey
1.5 tbsp. avocado oil
1/3 c. stock or broth
1 tbsp. arrowroot starch

Mix the beef with the rest of the marinade ingredients. This can be done far in advance, but I usually do it about 30 minutes before I plan start cooking, while I'm prepping the veggies.

Heat some cooking oil (I usually use avocado) in a 5-qt. pan and start a pot of water to boil for the noodles. Cook the marinated beef in the pan until cooked through. Remove and set aside. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. When finished, add a little oil to prevent sticking and set aside.

Using the same pan the beef was cooked in, add all the veggies except the cabbage and green onions. Once the veggies have softened, add in the cabbage. Meanwhile, whisk the sauce ingredients together.

Sauté until the veggies have reached the desired level of doneness. Add in the green onions, beef, noodles, and sauce. Let cook a few more minutes to allow the flavors to combine and the sauce to thicken.

Enjoy!

What's your favorite recipe that you've make modifications to?


No comments:

Post a Comment