Thursday, February 2, 2017

Political Reflection

I sometimes write blog posts that I never end up posting.  As I was going through some of those posts today, I came a across one that I wrote around the Forth of July several years ago.  Some of what I wrote wasn't worth keeping around, but the following paragraph caught my attention and seemed apropos for the current political climate:

A big deal is made out of events that celebrate our nation, and as a Christian, I wonder why.  This country, and our government, are both temporal.  They will pass away someday.  Look at any of the great civilizations that came before.  How many have survived the test of time?  Why do we put so much stock in national pride? Our government is not perfect; it is flawed.  So why do we place our fear, love, and trust in it?  I am by no means saying we should ignore our government and its laws.  We are called to be respectful of those in authority, including the government (see Luther's Table of Duties regarding citizens).  However, it seems that sometimes we make an idol out of being a citizen of a certain country.

It seems to me that people on both sides of the aisle have made an idol out of the presidency and the federal government.  If they can't have it their way, well, then the world is coming to an end.  News flash:  the world has been coming to an end since the fall of mankind.  A president is not going to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment