Friday, May 30, 2014

A Novel by Gabrielle Zevin

I first discovered The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry when I noticed it was the subject of the cover story in a publication at my local library.  Before looking too carefully at the description, I was convinced it was going to be a memoir (which is ironic since. . .oh, you'll just have to read the book!). Upon realizing it was fiction, I wasn't sure it would be the kind of book I might enjoy, but the information given in the article made it sound interesting, so I figured I'd give it a go.

I finished it last weekend, and I loved it!  Although it's two hundred and fifty-some pages, it's a pretty quick read.  A bookstore owner, one A.J. Fikry, who lost his wife in recent years, is struggling to find a reason to care about anything in his life, when a new sales rep for Knightley Press shows up at his store.  Life takes some unexpected turns from that point forward.  Along the way, a book is stolen, an unexpected guest arrives, and a somewhat successful author event occurs, among other things. Being an analytical person, I appreciated how every little detail and event played a part in the story and resurfaced later.  As a whole, the novel is a beautifully crafted tail of love and friendship.  I highly recommend it. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment